Haiti

Haiti is suffering from the massive Jan 12 earthquake and needs our help. Below I've posted some first-hand accounts of the quake from people in Haiti. Please consider a donation to an organization in Haiti. If you would like to give directly to a Haitian family, please contact me (anna.versluis@gmail.com).

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Morne Catte DieuSeul Paul


People are often surprised to seeing me walking through the area, especially if I'm a ways from the road. Today I left Cher-Frère at the top of a mountain and carefully made my way down the very steep slope to get one of my infamous "GPS points" that I use to validate land-cover data from satellite images. This extremely steep and rocky slope also happened to be the bean field of a spirited and graceful woman of 80-some years of age. Barefoot, she was clearing the field by hand to plant later this month. Somehow she managed to maintain her balance with no apparent effort. I was having a hard time imagining anyone walking down this slope much less planting on it. She looked up, saw me and said in wonder and with a laugh, "My! If it isn't a foreigner come walking right here!" Then, as if to no one in particular she said, "But why should I be surprised to see her, a foreign girl, here? Am I not, afterall, waiting for the day when Jesus himself will walk down this field to greet me? And should I be surprised then?"

3 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for this story -- it made my day. Lori

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Joy Versluis said...

I plan on reading this during sharing time at Shalom. Just endears these Hatians to me.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your welcome, Lori. Meeting this woman made my day as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home